Tuesday, August 9, 2011

3 Things I've learned about Balance

Most women I know should have a degree in juggling. You know, like the person who entertains us at a circus by juggling rings, balls, swords, or firesticks? In the world we live in today, women learn early on to multi-task with career, marriage, kids, further education, self-care, and church ministries. Some women may be energized by all this "juggling", but many are truthfully just worn out! I've been in both camps at different times of my life, so let me share what I have been learning over the years about the importance of achieving some of that elusive balance in my life.
1. Determine who or what is the "hub" of my life.
  • What is my center, what is my motivating force of life?  It took me a long time to realilze I was not the central focus of  my life.  When I came to faith, I saw that I was never going to be happy with me as the hub of my life.  It was only when I put Jesus in the center, that I began to experience any real balance happening in my life.  Matthew 6:33 says "And seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you." Things will fall into place if God is in the right place in my life because He will guide me.
  • The Bible instructs us to have Jesus as priority # 1.  Colossians 3:17 says "And whatever you do in word or deed do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus {the Hub}, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
2. Recognize there are seasons in my life.
  • What season are you in?  A farmer doesn't do everything in one season. In Spring he plants, in Summer he tends and weeds, in Fall he harvests and prunes, and in Winter he and the soil rest.
  • We, too, have seasons.  We don't have to do everything at once no matter what our culture tries to say to the contrary. We have the season of childhood for learning and acquiring skills and discovering our gifts.There is the summer season when we are young adults, learning where we fit in the world; perhaps in a marriage and with children or developing a career or a business, and learning where we fit into ministry in the body of Christ. Then there is the Fall, when we begin to harvest  the "fruits" of our labor. Our children have grown up, our businesses have thrived or failed, and we begin to see the spiritual fruit if we have sowed into others lives. Then there comes Winter, a season many fear instead of embrace; but an important season. This is a time to rest, reflect and regroup. We reflect on past seasons and share wisdom with those who are in other seasons to help them arrive at Winter well prepared. This is a time where we may apply the phrase "work smarter, not harder".  I have been blessed by the example of those who have gone through the Winter season and left me a trail to follow.
  • You can't rush the process of each season. Enjoy the season you're in with all the things that accompany it. Two synonyms for balance are orderly and stable; not chaotic, hurried and stressed. Nothing grows well in that kind of "soil".
  • Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 "For everything there is a season and a time for every purpose under heaven...."
3.  Receive the rewards of living a balanced life:
  • Peace is a much sought after commodity today. So many individuals and families live with very little peace in their lives regardless of financial provision. When we seek to live in balance in our life, the Bible says in Isaiah 26:3 "You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is focused on you, Lord."  We are able to feel peace in our lives even in the midst of times of unrest around us because of Jesus, who is the Prince of Peace. We can access this peace by talking to the Lord in prayer at any time of day or night (beats waiting for a bill to clear Congress).
  • Contentment is something we all want in our life, but I have found few truly have it. We base our contentment on acquiring possessions, titles, fame or fortune.  We grow anxious and stressed trying to work at an impossible speed to achieve and keep these things, only to find they don't bring the contentment we were seeking. The apostle Paul stated plainly, "Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am in to be content."  (Philippians 4:11).  That, is real contentment.
  • Strength for the difficulties of life is another reward we get from living a balanced life. Paul surely must have learned this well as we look back at his life because we hear him say in Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me the strength. 
I continue to learn to live a balanced life.  I try to remember not to rush the season I am in and to take time to enjoy it and reap from it.  I have set a goal to have more of a farmer mentalilty than a juggler mentality. Some days I have success at that goal and other times, I allow the world to squeeze me into it's mold and then have the reward of stress and anxiety. But I think those days are fewer and more far between than they used to be.
                                               ***********************************
Let me introduce you to a new friend that I met at a Writing Workshop. She writes and  performs songs. Her name is Jen Letamendi and she has just posted her first You Tube video singing one of her songs. She strives for balanced living and has 2 wonderful blogs you can check out:  www.babystepstoabetterme.wordpress.com and www.letsmakemistakesday.blogspot.com

Here is the link to Jen's youtube debut:  http://youtu.be/6_MsVQhvjX8

No comments:

Post a Comment