Monday, August 22, 2011

The Will of God

http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=F9B20CNU  Watch this Steven Curtis Chapman music video on his song, "Do Everything" for a great Monday jumpstart to your week!

You know as I watched this video and listened to the song this morning on God Tube, I was struck that in this fun and catchy song, there is a lot being said about the will of God for my life. I think Steven Curtis Chapman really hit upon 3 things in his chorus that are God's will for me as a believer.

  1. Do everything you do to the glory of God.
  2. Try to bring a smile to His face.
  3. Tell the story of His grace.
Do Everything to the Glory of God: The apostle Paul tells the Corinthian believers over the question of what is permissible to eat or drink, "Therefore, whether you eat or drink or WHATEVER YOU DO,
do EVERYTHING FOR GOD'S GLORY. (1 Corinthians 10:31).  Everything is pretty inclusive isn't it? So when I'm doing my housework, or tutoring a student it should be to God's glory just as much as when I'm teaching a Bible lesson, or mentoring a woman in her faith, or worshiping, or praying. So, playing with my grandson, trying out a new recipe, shopping, exercising, reading, napping....all should be done to the Glory of God? That's His will for us? Yes, and I dare say that it will infuse these daily activities with a fresh sense of God's presence in even the most mundane of activities.

Try to bring a smile to His Face:  How often have I really given thought to God smiling? That something I do could bring a smile of joy to God's face? How much do I just go on auto-pilot unaware that God does delight in me and in my giving my life to Him. Psalm 34:1 says "I will bless the Lord at all times, his praise shall continually be in my mouth." I think we can also bless the Lord by being more present in our relationship with him moment by moment, seeking to bring a smile to His face by the things we say and do all througout our days. After all the Word of God says "he rejoices over you with singing" (Zeph 3:17).  Maybe it's God's will for me to give Him something worth singing and rejoicing over and smililng about. Wow, I've really got to work on this one.

Tell the Story of His Grace:  We have been given a clear commandment concerning His will on this one in Matthew 28:19-20 "Go therefore, and make disciples of all nations....teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you..."  We are charged with telling others of His grace and making disciples (faithful followers).  It is His will that I share my testimony of how Christ proved His love for me by willingly dying for me, a sinner. I can share God's patient work of love and healing over my life.  I can make time to "mentor" those who are new in their faith. I can pray for those who are seeking understanding of who Jesus is.  Because God continues to work in my life, I constantly have examples of His grace to share. 

Isn't it amazing that on a Monday morning, God can use a song and teach me so much about His will for me and I'm not even sitting in church?

Think I'll replay the video one more time!




1 comment: