Saturday, September 10, 2011

Reflections of Creativity

I know many women who tell me they are not creative.  I've even said it myself in my younger years before I knew better. That's because we too often equate creativity with being "artsy". You know, painting, drawing, sculpting, pottery making, writing, playing an instrument, acting.  But creativity is so much more than that, and I believe that every woman is creative, but may not realize it because her definition for creativity is way too narrow.

At one time, I too denied my own creativity until I began to realize that because I am made in the image of God and He is the creator of the world, then I must have some creativity in me somewhere.
That's when I began to look more closely at my life to uncover my own unique creativity.

I found creativity in my quirky way of putting outfits together and accessorizing (or decorating, as my husband calls it) with jewelry and scarves on a very limited budget. I didn't care what was "in", I just wore what I loved and that made me feel good.  This did not occur until my 40's (what can I say, I'm a late bloomer).  I love to shop clearance sales and resale shops. I have found some of the greatest accessories: vintage jewelry, colorful, textured scarves, amazing handbags, cute jackets and coats; all for prices no one can believe.  I think finding these things is creative too.  There is an art to it and I feel beautiful and special to the Lord as He leads me to these great finds.

I also love decorating my home (shabby chic style).  Since going to Paris when I was a senior in high school, I have always had a love of anything French. My house reflects that in the prints I have found and framed for my living room walls, the prints and textures in furnishings I choose, even the paint and lacy curtains on my windows.  I have several prints that I love of a Renoir, a Van Gogh, and a Monet.  I love playing french music when I'm home alone relaxing.  I love to watch movies that highlight Paris or the French countryside and remember my own visit there.

I also feel I am creative in the way I encourage others. I love to "study" people and look for their special gifts and then encourage them to use those gifts or thank them for how their gifts have blessed my life.  I love to encourage other women to not let fear limit them.  If they share something they really want to do, I really ask God to use me to encourage them to step out and do it.  I love to bring women together and encourage them to learn from one another. I have learned a lot from other women. Another way I have discovered I am creative is in building relationships with women and assuring them that they have found in me a safe place to share their woundedness. I love how God has brought that out in me through my own woundedness.

I have a friend who is creative in how she has handled some really hard times that have come in her life. She is creative in her trust of God to provide a better attitude toward her struggles She has a marvelous sense of humor and has developed the amazing ability to laugh her way through her hard times and get me laughing with her. She has helped me through some trying times.  I have another friend who couldn't draw or paint, but put so much love into creating amazing scrapbooks and cards; she has blessed her entire family with that creativity. I have another friend that has turned making kalochkys (a Polish "cookie") into its own delicious art form.  Everyone loves them and often asks if she will bring them to a gathering. One of my friends who loves to support women's creativity, started a yearly Christmas Open House at her home that showcased many different women's creative renderings such as scarves, ornaments, jewelry, baskets, baked goods, doll clothes and other unique handmade gifts (a highlight of my Christmas shopping experience). Another dear friend who loves to cook and especially bake has such a gift of hospitality, I feel like I "went home" every time I go to her house, because I feel so pampered with her love and yummy food.  I have one friend who is so creative with how she encourages me by sharing God lessons from her life. All these are reflections of the creative God in their lives.



Do you see what I'm getting at?  We are the body of Christ, ladies. God already bestowed on us as women one of the most creative things in the world: giving birth! We don't just birth children. We as women give birth to so many ideas and innovations that bless our world. No one is unnecessary because all of us are creative in carrying Christ and his message into our world. In our own unique ways, we reflect the creativity of our God to others and invite them to share the special creativity He has given them. Don't continue to think about being creative in an "old wineskins" kind of way.  We have our Father God's DNA running through us and it manifests uniquely in each person, that we might love and serve one another.  If you don't know your particular creative footprint yet, ask God to reveal it to you and then flow in that.  I've found that it brings peace and joy to your soul and then opens the floodgates of inspiration and more creativity.

Another word for creativity is courage~George Prince

Stop trying to pattern yourself after the pastor's wife, the news anchor, your girlfriend, and your next door neighbor, and develop the unique, exquisite woman within. ~ Jacqueline Jakes

1 comment:

  1. I really loved this post! Especially about wearing what you feel best and beautiful in! But I loved it all :) Great work!

    ReplyDelete