Thursday, June 5, 2014


One day as I was walking through the Chicago Botanic Gardens through the Japanese Gardens, I spotted 2 white swans and their little brood of new baby swans with soft gray feathers and as I walked close to where they were on the bank of the little lake, the mother quickly spread her wings out as if to cover and protect her new babies.  Those wings were expansive and powerful and I had no doubt had I tried to come close she would have covered her babies with those powerful wings or come after me!  Needless to say I kept my distance. Even these ducks in the pictures I took at the Gardens have that same instinct when they have babies.  How meaningful then are the verses we read about the Lord protecting us under the "shadow of his wings" just as a mother bird or fowl would!
Today I was reading in the Psalms and these two verses popped out at me:

        "I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings" Psalm 61:4
         "Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings." Psalm 63:7

I was reminded of our Lord's loving protection of us and that we can take refuge under his "wings".
He has invited us to do so.  He knows that we will face many troublesome situations in this world
and He wants to make clear that we can depend upon him for his help and protection just as a baby bird or swan, or chick, or gosling can under it's mother's wing.  We are not meant to endure alone the battering of life's storms alone and unprotected. 

I love Psalm 63:7 ...."I sing in the shadow of your wings."  That speaks of peace and rest in the
troubles of life to the point where we can freely and joyfully sing!

None of us likes to go through trials, heartache, sickness, loss, or pain, but God's word is our comfort telling us that HE IS THERE, HIS WINGS SPREAD, READY TO HELP BLUNT THE STORMS OF LIFE THAT ASSAIL US and even give us relief to the point that we might, because of his nearness and strength, find our hearts able to praise him in the storm!

As I approach my 60th birthday this August, I can look back and see many trials and storms that God has brought me through.  I have dwelt under the shadow of His wings many times and found help and comfort and solace and provision and most of all, love and grace there.  In past years I have struggled with various physical issues such as a bladder disease, kidney stones, herniated discs in my neck, pneumonia twice, sciatica, a torn meniscus in my knee, and recently surgery in my right foot to deal with Achilles tendonitis and a bone spur.  I have also experienced loss...the loss of both my grandmothers and grandfathers, the loss of my mother when she was only 54, the loss of my mother-in-law,  I have also gone through other kinds of losses such as financial loss,  the loss of friendships and the loss of unfulfilled dreams and hopes.  But, through it all were and are and will be the wings of God, the everlasting arms sheltering me and helping me through!

We need to respond by being willing to receive his offer of sheltering wings over us. We need to surrender to his care over us  In Matthew 23:37 the Lord speaks to the Jewish nation saying he would have "gathered thy children together even as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you would not"!  They wouldn't surrender and run to the shelter of his wings!  We must guard our hearts that we would not refuse the nurture and protection and grace of the "wings" of God by being self sufficient and too proud to receive from our Father.  Isaiah 30:18 says he longs to be gracious to us.

Today, if you are hurting, if you are depressed or despairing, if you are overwhelmed by your life, if you have health issues that have changed your life to something you don't recognize,
will you run and find cover under His wings and find rest for your weary, burdened soul?  He stands ready, wings expanded and ready to sweep you under as you draw near so He can provide a respite, a refuge, restoration and renewal. 

A line from a favorite song of mine from long ago says, "Said the robin to the sparrow I would really like to know why these anxious human beings rush about and worry so. Said the sparrow to the robin, friend, I think that it must be that they have no heavenly father such as cares for you and me!"
The sparrow was wrong, we do have a gracious heavenly father with expansive wings, but we must choose to seek our shelter there rather than in things that will never satisfy.

Hebrews 13:5-6 Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid."


No comments:

Post a Comment